The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 8 2019


Way behind still but we had a good day on Sunday with relatively good numbers in the morning but much smaller in the evening. In the morning my sermon title was Politicians - what are they good for? A Christmas study. Given that we vote tomorrow and Christmas is also just round the corner I thought that we could think about Luke 2:1-3 and say things. Politicians good for marking the time, for keeping order and for bringing about God's will. Hopefully, it got people thinking. In the evening we dropped the Christmas theme and looked at the very last verses of Matthew and the Great Commission. I was keen to finish Matthew before the year's end. I have now preached through Matthew (and Mark) twice (and Luke and John once each). Another good day with God's people.

No comments: