The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 4 2022

 

I had thought of going to the cinema on my day off but that wasn't convenient so we went the previous evening to see Belfast, the new Kenneth Branagh. That's our second recent trip to the cinema as we saw Westside Story the other Saturday. The Branagh film was fine. It's a tiny slice rather than a grand epic but fine, nevertheless. The use of a Van Morrison sound track was a smart move, casting Judy Dench as an Ulster grandmother nit so much. On the day itself, my main project was reading one of my Christmas books - the one on Cromwell's formative years. I am enjoying it as it is well written but Mr Hutton's interests are not the same as mine. Picking up tips about how to write history - useful as I hope to be contributing ti a history book this year. Something else I did, apart from a bit of TV and an important phone call I had to make early in the day, was to have lunch in MacDonalds. I 'm not veggie or vegan but I enjoyed their new McPlant. It tasted good.

No comments: