The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 8 2022


I was especially glad to be there on the Lord's Day as I had been testing positive for covid most of the week. I arrived early as I wanted to walk someone to church who's not been in ages. He was able to sit through most though not all of the service. I had decided to begin with the hymn "Christ is our cornerstone" so I thought I'd begin by reading the appropriate verse from Ephesians. I read all of Chapters 3 and 4 to myself and was dismayed not to find it and so I turned to something else. It's in Chapter 2, of course. Anyway we had a decent number morning and evening (16). I was especially encouraged about the evening, as we are often a lot smaller. I preached from the beginning of Luke 10:16 (every point began with P!) and Psalm 17, very refreshing.

No comments: