The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 22 2022


Last Sunday was my birthday so I thought I would preach some birthday sermons. I'd thought it might improve the numbers attending but, if anything, numbers were worse than last week. I do this from time to time. I did it when I turned sixty and back in 2016 when I was 57. This time I preached in the morning on 2 Corinthians 4:5 and in the evening on my "baptismal verse" 2 Peter 3:13. People were very kind with cake and cards and gifts, which was not my aim, of course. We also had a lovely afternoon with church people, again so very kind. Good day.

No comments: