The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Time Well Spent


A practical guide to developing your daily devotions I bought this recently and have read it. (It is not long). It's not really aimed at people like me but I read it as I feel my "Quiet Times" need a refreshing and because I wanted to look at the subject in connection with a present project. The book is very clear and engaging and assumes nothing. It begins with a definition then five reasons for having one. It goes on with Jesus's quiet time from Mark 1:35-39 and then, in the longest section sets out the ingredients (preparation, Bible and prayer). Next comes something on common problems and some useful tips. The penultimate chapter recommends the use of the Lord's Prayer and the Psalms, with which I would heartily concur. The final chapter I have not tackled fully yet as it is a series of eight Bible studies to get you started. Very much worth passing on. It is by Colin Webster, who I have never met.

No comments: