The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Songs that mention Top of the Pops


1. Angel delight, Fairport Convention
(Stand on a chair if you want to watch the box
The fleas can jump a mile
Peer through the haze watching Top Of The Pops
And smile)
2. Top of the Pops, The Rezillos
(Take the money, leave the box
Everybody's on Top of the Pops)
3. Top of the Pops, The Smithereens
(Big plans, big time, everything
Downtown pawn shop Bought us a ring
Heading for the top - Top of the Pops
Top, top, top of the pops - Hey! Hey!)
4. Rat Trap, The Boomtown Rats
(Oh little Judy's trying to watch "top of the pops"
But mum and dad are fighting don't they ever stop)
5. Knocked it off, B A Robertson
(Tell them they can stuff it, I'm not about to rough it
In some Granada Ghia, I was Top of the Pops)
6. Promises, Promises, Generation X
(Soon you'll get your gear form Marks and Sparks
Punk'll take over Top of the Pops)
7. Electric Trains, Top of the Pops
(And soloed round the clock
My records stacked up in a pile
Collected from the charts
And Top of the Pops)
8. C30 C60 C90 Go!, Bow wow wow
(So I don't buy records in your shop
Now I tape them all, 'cause I'm Top of the Pops!)
9.  Moving the Goalposts, Billy Bragg
(I dreamed of you as I walked to the shops
You were dancing with the wallies on Top of the Pops)
10. If you don't know what I know, All Saints
(Well actually girls no they're not
But at least you get to be on Top Of The Pops)

[Bonus Sing My Song, Donovan
So we're pickin' out your straight jacket
For the Top of the Pops
When I sing my song My song of songs
I want the whole wide world
To sing along
Sing for me]

No comments: