The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 26 2023


I remember an older minister saying once that for a regular preacher it has to be beans on toast sometimes. It can't be roast beef every week. I felt (rightly or wrongly) that last Lord's Day was a beans on toast sort of Sunday as I worked my way through the final verses of Luke 13 and Job 15-17. It has been a busy week and perhaps that was part of it. We had a new couple there in the morning, Filipino Londoners. I hope they will stick with us. They had a good chat with our Filipino family. In fact, at one point after the service, I noticed those four speaking to each other with an Iranian group elsewhere and an African group somewhere else. Integration is not easy. Our Cuban friend came again and stayed for a cuppa this time, which was good. We were double figues again in the evening, which is good.

No comments: