The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

More faithful men with the Lord


Most readers of this blog will have heard of the deaths of the founder of OM, George Verwer (b 1938) back in April and more recently of pastor and writer Tim Keller (b 1950) and now we hear that two Scots ministers have also died. Gordon Keddie has died in America and Donald Macleod (b 1940) in Scotland. I never heard Gordon Keddie (b 1944) but I read some of his very helpful exegetical work. He published several books. I know of his death through his brother John. I can see no online obituary at the moment. The other three I heard on different occasions, Verwer just once and the other two several times and always with profit. What blessings we have received from such men but now they are with the Lord which is far better.
You can find obituaries for these men as follows:
Of course, early in March Ted Donnelly died in Ireland - another man from whose ministry I have benefitted.

2 comments:

Rev Peter Ratcliff said...

Thanks. Always a challenge to really appreciate people and to think how few are our days and what we could do better and be more worthwhile.

Gary Brady said...

Thanks Peter. Three important things I'm sure - Did I really appreciate him as I should have? How few such there are in our days and what am I doing with my fast ebbing life?