The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 7 2023


At the end of the last Lord's Day I felt quite discouraged. In the end I think it is my own lack of holiness and desire for God that did that but at the time it was our low numbers that did it, especially in the evening, when we were very low. At one point there was a dog and a cat in the room, a bad combination, but we got through that. There were twelve at communion which we started with so not all bad news numbers wise. In light of the coronation, I decided to look at 1 Timothy 2:1-4 and 2 Peter 2:17 and that all went well. It is the people who could have been there who were missing that concerns me most, perhaps.

No comments: