The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Five More Books Recently Read


I liked that idea of reviewing five books recently read, which I did last month. Here are another randoom five. I so enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith's collection of stories last time that I read another recently. Ths time the gifted story teller takes a series of old photographs and crafts his stories from these. It's a bit like Vivaldi perhaps - every piece well told but may be it's too easy. I also read for the first time Douglas Adams'  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy., I bought a little box set years ago and have never looked at it so now I've made a start. A well written novel that is still quite funny. Secret Societies by Nick Harding simply goes through different ones informatvely and encyclopediacally. Filled a few gaps in my knowledge. I know Mack Tomlinson through my father-in-law and he recently gifted me a copy of his new hardback on the Brainerd brothers. It's a brilliant book - very informative. By looking at David alongside his brother John, a more realistic and nuanced picture emerges. This is really worth getting hold of. And then finally, Rev Samuel Davies Abroad is a book I've long known about for years. My recent studies on Samson Occom prompted me to look for it again and having found an old library copy online I have devoured it. Samuel Davies came to Britain in around 1754. His diary for the period os fascinating.

No comments: