The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Holiday Gem 02

2. Er Is Een Kindeke Geboren op Aarde by Thijs Van Leer and others on the 1976 album Music per la Notte di Natale.
This beautiful track features Louis Van Dijk on piano, Thijs Van Leer on flute and an orchestra conducted by the late Rogier Van Otterloo. I came across the old vinyl version in a record shop in Cwmbran when I was back home there some time after 1976. It got rather scratched at some stage but I replaced it with a CD bought at a Focus concert here in London. The track on i-tunes I seem to have from an album called Wereldsterren wensen u een Vrolijk Kerstfeest (famous stars wish you a happy Christmas time, I guess) which includes tracks from Andy Williams, Doris Day, Ray Conniff, etc! I suppose the title means There is a child born on the earth.

1 comment:

Alan said...

You know, Gary, if Eleri and the deacons let you you could probably look like Thijs van Leer given a few months.