The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Methodist

I knew that Methodist was a nickname and I knew it was to do with their methodical approach to godliness. What I'd not picked up is that the nickname Methodist refers back to a group of Roman physicians who were called Methodists because of their approach to health. This is mentioned on page 55 of the newly translated Calvinistic Methodist Fathers which I am very much enjoying. Apparently this explanation is found in (John) Wesley himself.

No comments: