The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lloyd-Jones: Messenger of Grace

I must confess that when this book appeared part of me felt there could be little more to say on Lloyd-Jones. That was a mistake. This book, which is full of wisdom, sustained my interest from beginning to end. I particularly appreciated the essay on the controversial book Joy Unspeakable. I wish it had been available to read years ago. Iain Murray has such respect for the Doctor that where he sees weakness (such as the Doctor on the baptism of the Spirit) he is able to point these out without rubbishing the whole package (why others can't do that I don't know). I also enjoyed the chapters on preaching in the Spirit and the one comparing the Doctor with Spurgeon, which was very helpful for preachers and a great idea for exploring. Another chapter deals with 1966 and the fall out falling the split with Anglicanism. This is a very difficult area but Murray sets it all out very clearly. Something similar can be said about the way he deals thoroughly and fairly with Packer. Murray makes lots of other wise comments generally and with regard to the Doctor and there are lots of other good things stowed away in this wonderful book and one would be gratified to think that young people, especially ministers, were getting hold of this and making use of it.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Sounds a corker. Off to Amazon.fr.