The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Fast food


A combination of circumstances this week conspired to launch me into a survey of local fast food outlets. The order was


Monday Brent Cross MacDonalds (wrap and mozarella dippers)

Tuesday Hendon Domino's Pizza delivered (shared Hawaian and Meat feast with boys)

Wednesday Childs Hill Coral Bay chippy (curry, chips, steak and kidney pie)

Thursday Golders Green KFC (Boneless banquet)

Friday Golders Green Subway (12" meatball marinara with salad)


I had a coke with each one I think. It's not a very cheap way to live and is probably not very healthy. I enjoyed the Subway best, probably, and the KFC worst (I probably made the wrong menu choice). The chippy works out cheapest, the pizza most expensive. Some people don't like fast food but I don't mind it and it's nice that there's a bit of variety.

6 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

Subway meat ball sandwich is hard to beat :-) I also agree with you re KFC. Vastly over rated.

Ryan Burton King said...

Maybe it was just a bad day for KFC. Personally, I consider their boneless chicken the best they have on offer. As for Subway being the best, there is no question. My favourite is chicken breast on honey oat bread (toasted with cheese), lettuce, red onion, perhaps some jalepenos, and a very large amount of Chipotle South West sauce...Quite tasty.

Gary Brady said...

Clearly experts both esp Ryan. The first time I went into a Subway was in the US. It was a busy time and there were seven of us and we hadn't a clue what we wanted or what we could have or anything. As we ummed and aahed and had it explained. The people behind got increasingly frustrated and we just had to step back in the end and have a cool think. Rather embarrassing.

Gary Brady said...

PS My wife's back now though our hosue is still rather upside down so we've had two barbecues and were invited outyesterday - a million times better.

Otepoti said...

Thank goodness your wife has returned...

Otherwise I would have felt constrained to remind you of the injunction to treat your body as a temple.

Cheers

Gary Brady said...

Always good to be reminded anyway, especially those of us of us of a traditional build