The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Petitions

Paul Levy over on Ref21 speaks true. He says

Is someone willing to sign my petition to stop Christians from producing petitions.
A petition to support marriage, a petition against gay marriage, a petition to ask liberals to stop being mean to us, a petition to say we uphold Christian values. As far as I can tell the New Testament church didn't use petitions. It is remarkable naivete to think that petitions change minds. In both the ecclesiastical world and political world I would love to hear of petitions that have been successful and led to significant change.
My only exception to this was that I once signed a petition that Deidre Rashid be freed from prison, this was part of a calculated campaign which was ultimately successful.

No comments: