The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Art History: Lessons

I was with some friends today having lunch in the Côte Bistro in Camden Town (I'd not eaten in such a place before but can recommend it - see here). This was probably the last time that I will be with this group, having come to the end of my Tuesday morning Art History classes. They will be carrying on next term but I don't think I will be able to do that. Anyway, thinking about my original goals I think I can say that, apart from helping me to have a day off each week, the course has helped me begin to learn several lessons, about

1. The basic history of art since the Renaissance
2. How to look at a picture

3. The art world - artists, dealers, etc
4. Teaching - how to do it more subtly (thank you Annette)
5. People and how they differ and don't differ
6. People and their views on theology and religion
7. People and their objections to the gospel
8. People and the way they bond
9. London and its many, many (often free) galleries and museums
10. The difficulty of witnessing and how hardly souls are won

No comments: