The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek meeting June 3 2015

So it was back to Philippians last night. We looked at the first three verses of Chapter 4. 4:1 in many ways concludes Chapter 3. I notice that the old NIV sets it out in that way but the new NIV puts verses 1-3 together under their own section as I did. It seemed to me that Paul is speaking very personally in these verses and so I sought to speak very personally too about standing firm and being united and working together, pastor and people. As ever there were a stack of things to pray for and we did our best. 

No comments: