The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Popular Songs with great puns

1. Delaware (Perry Como)
It references to 15 states of the United States in the form of puns: Della wear, new jersey, Calla ‘phone ya, how ar’ ya, Mrs sip, mini-soda, Ore gone, I’ll ask ‘er, taxes, Wiscon sin, new brass key, Arkan saw, Tenne see, Flora die and misery.
2. When I see an elephant fly (from Dumbo)
It includes these word tricks I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band, And seen a needle wink its eye ...  I've seen a front porch swing, heard a diamond ring I've seen a polka dot railroad tie .... I saw a clothes horse rear up and buck And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck ... I heard a fireside chat, I saw a baseball bat ....
These are the best but also note
3. Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry)
... Maybe someday your name will be in lights  Saying 'Johnny B. Goode tonight' ...
4. Who are you? (Who)
... Who are you? Who, who, who, who? ...
5. Another one on the band name can be found in Merry Christmas (Slade)
... Do you ride on down the hillside On a buggy you have made When you land upon your head
You'll know that you've been 'Slade' (sleighed, slayed) ....
6. Diane Young (Vampire Weekend)
... Irish and proud, baby, naturally  But you got the luck of a Kennedy So grab the wheel, keep on holding it tight  'Til you're tottering off into that good night If Diane Young won't change your mind,
Baby, baby, baby, baby right on time ....
7. Ticket to ride (Beatles)
Pun on Ticket to Ryde (apparently). The name Beatles itself involves word play.
8. If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me? (Bellamy Brothers)
9. The One On The Right Is On The Left (Johnny Cash)
A song about keeping politics out of music
10. Looking out my window through the pain (Mel Street)
... So 'til she returns, I'll wait for her, looking out my window through the pain ...

No comments: