The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 30


Knowing I was planning to report back helped me be organised today I guess. It was a good day except for a rather low walking rate again. (It's too hot to be out much). I enjoyed lots of good music today among other things.
Some time ago I started reading Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse but had put it down unfinished. Anyway I managed to pick up again and enjoyed completing it both because I'm glad to have read a classic (I've not read anything else by Woolf) and because I enjoyed it (although it was an effort to psyche myself up to that level of language). I also read the last chapter of a book on Julia Pastrana translated from Norwegian  that I also started some time ago (it was the Jerry Bergman book on The Darwin Effect that reminded me I had it). The book came out in 2004 and Julia's body is still in Norway when it finishes but I read that she was eventually buried back in Mexico where she was born.
Earlier in the day I bought a new kitchen tap. The plumber came later in the day and did us a good couple of jobs. In the evening we were out in West London at my esteemed father-in-law's with his new wife (52 days he told us) and a nice group of others with different connections. A really lovely evening of food and conversation in good company.

No comments: