The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 22 2018


I had an anonymous phone call before church. Someone wanted me to pray for a relative on heroin. I also had an email I noticed asking when the church was open. These are unusual but remind us that there are needy and to some extent willing people out there. Attendances at both services were quite good. The heat is demanding on preacher and congregation alike. I tried to keep it short. We looked at Hebrews 9:24-26 in the morning and the next bit in Matthew 20 (17-19) in the evening. We had a lovely gathering back here of several members and friends. Something distracting was on my mind through part of the day. I'm not sure if that made me a little flat. It was encouraging to see young people (new graduates) there. I hope they can stick with us.

No comments: