The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off week 48


Rather a lazy day in some respects. I started off by wearing the t-shirt and jeans, which seems to help. I then took Alffi for a long walk to Highgate and got the bus back. My walking target was soon met. I listened to a recent In our time on Mari Antoinette, which I enjoyed. I like to take the fortnightly Private Eye but never seem to see it on a Tuesday. I managed it this time, however, and so hopefully that can be a pattern on alternate Tuesdays in future (although that reads Dec11 then 25!). I also read 10 chapters of a nice children's book I picked up in a charity shop yesterday. It is Carlo Collodi's Pinocchio (well translated some years ago by Emma Rose). I also read a bit more of my Christmas novel. I wanted to do other things but rather petered out in the afternoon. In the evening we had a visit from my father-in-law and Barbara and after they had gone we watched the first episode of the new drama Mrs Wilson.

No comments: