The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Things that change

1. Language - changes from place to place and year to year. I like to say at night these days "I'm going bed"
2. Laws - often for the better but not always
3. Dress - I never saw my dad in trainers or a baseball cap
4. Food and drink - I didn't grow up on fajitas, quinoa and kombucha
5. Sports rules - only three points for a try when I was young and the donkey kick was legal in soccer
6. Technology - Remember the 4 track cartridge and Betamax videos? Landlines and phone boxes are fast disappearing
7. What is popular in music - Ragtime sounds great but you'll rarely hear it
8. Ways to be entertained - Channel hopping and bungee jumping weren't options when I was a kid
9. Things to celebrate - Halloween is a big deal these days in the way it never was and so is the school prom (both from America but the point stands)
10. How to celebrate - Mexican waves and fireworks for new year are not part of my childhood

No comments: