The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 10 2019


A good day yesterday I would say. We had a good attendance in the morning and not too bad an attendance in the evening (thanks to a family of five). In the morning we had some visitors - old friends, a newish lady and three Iranians not seen last week (though one works and could only stay  a while). The morning sermon on Acts 27 went better than I had expected and I am not going to allow the fact that it would have been better to sing Will your anchor hold? before the sermon and Jesu lover of my soul after rather than the other way round bother me at all. We can overthink. We had a meal together after the morning meeting. We were about 35 or so for that with a nice table of Filipinos and Nigerians in the middle. In the evening we looked at the soldiers and the women at the cross. I'm sure there is more to be got out of that passage than I managed in quite a short sermon.

No comments: