The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Not Too Late

A few years back I was watching Parkinson on TV one Saturday and I saw this young girl at the piano playing with her band. I was entranced. I said to Eleri, I must get the CD. As it turned out I was in town the next week and saw it for £10 and bought it. I loved it. A few days later Norah Jones was on "everyone's lips" and may be if I hadn't got in first I'd be less of a fan. (I pride myself in spotting such talent. I heard that Mika Number 1 some weeks back and tried to investigate but wasn't sure how to spell or say his name and there was little info).
I think the attraction is the way the voice is so sweet yet retains a smokiness at the same time. her way of punching out the word then fading works well. Also the backing is quite sophisticated, drawing on jazz and country, etc, but not demanding anything from the hearer at all (may be that's it's Achilles heel for some). great pop.
Her new album was issued today. It's more of the same (as on the first two). It rings the changes with occasional cellos (Wish I could - love that), basses (Broken), backward guitars/marimba (Not my friend and the single Thinking about you) brass (My Dear Country) and Daru Oda whistling (Little Room). Sinkin' Soon has a jazz comedy feel. Wake me up and Be my somebody were the stand outs for me on the first few plays. Not too late is growing on me.
For only the second time in my life (for a whole album) I bought on i-tunes not CD. By pre-ordering I got some bonus live tracks.
You can see Rosie's Lullaby here and get the info that i-tunes doesn't seem to give you.
(Not too late? The majority of popular music is sold in December)

No comments: