The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the week 2


This week it is the John Elias blog here.

They said he was the Methodist Pope
With his hardline ways they could not cope.
He'd thunder and flash,
Turn falsehoods to ash,
He gave Wales the message of hope.

It draws attention to the great Welsh Calvinistic Methodist preacher John Elias (1774-1841). I have known about Elias since I was a teenager in Wales and the republication of Edward Morgan's book of the Life and Letters, still in print (Banner of Truth). I started the blog a couple of months ago looking for material on Elias one night. I realy want to get to know more about him. As far as I know everything on the net is now available at this one site. There are by now 28 separate entries including seven letters he wrote. How many visit the site I have no idea.
Quote: You are not called to believe as elect ones or as redeemed ones. You must believe as a sinner before you can know anything. You do not need to know who has been loved nor who has been elected; only believe in Him who justifies the ungodly.

No comments: