The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Newport again Glimpse 1


My dad is in hospital again so I set off for Newport once more first thing on Thursday morning. The National Express coaches are quite cheap and I was able to get there and back for £10 (I nearly had it down to £2 at one point). I left Victoria at 8 and headed back at 4 pm. I was with my dad for just over an hour or so and spent the rest of the time reading, working on my sermons for Sunday and checking my e-mails in MacDonalds. I won't repeat things said before about previous trips but limit it to five glimpses.

1. I came from the bus station up to the main street where the shops are. It isn't a very interesting collection. At least there's a bookshop - Waterstones. I popped in and spent a happy time looking at the local interest section, where I found a book called History of Cwmbran Vol 1 by Gareth John and Graham Lawrence. It seemed very well done. I had a little look through the Llanyrafan section and then read the Croesyceiliog one. I knew most of what was in there but it was good to see it all together - The Garw, Jim Crow's Cottage, the old board school, the comprehensive, Pontrhydyrynn Baptist Chapel. etc.

No comments: