The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

SGU Bethersden

I was speaking for the Kent auxiliary of the Sovereign Grace Union on Wednesday night in Union Chapel, Bethersden. I'd not been there before and had failed to leave myself as much time as I should to cover the distance. There was heavy traffic at the Dartford Crossing. I ended up 10 minutes late for that reason but people were very understanding. About 40 had gathered in the little chapel there. The pulpit is a high one and there is a gallery so the preacher can't necessarily see everyone, not if they sit near the outer walls. I've not preached anywhere like that before.
Most of the people were strangers to me but there were a few I knew, including the young minister at Bethersden Steve Ridgeway, who I have met at the Westminster Fellowship, his fellow elder Andrew Muwowo from Zambia and another Bethersden member, Ian Jemmett. I also know our chairman Tim Field (Tonbridge) who had invited me. He had asked me for a title at the time and in a moment of inspiration had got back to him with "The sovereignty of God and human responsibility". It was only as I prepared properly that I realised what a difficult subject it is. Anyway with the help mostly of A W Pink I managed to put something together that was fairly thorough, not too difficult to listen to, hopefully not overlong (although I'm sure I was at least 50 minutes) and not merely dry and theoretical. Watch this space for more detail.
One of my fears was over just who I might be upsetting but not knowing most of the people I was fairly oblivious. They listened well and made lots of appreciative comments. I think most of the folk were from Bethersden but several other fellowships were represented, some coming from as far as Folkestone. I hope they felt it worthwhile. The doctrine of God's sovereignty is one of the most comforting doctrines in Scripture and the doctrine of our responsibility one of the most challenging.

No comments: