The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Newport again Glimpse 2, 3

2. At least they have a Caffe Nero there so I popped in for a coffee and a read. Now the thing here was that while I was reading and drinking I overheard a woman talking about rugby. She was talking about the Ospreys. She couldn't remember who they'd played against last (Gloucester it was) but she was certain that with the talent they have they should have played better. "They just didn't gel" she said. The thing is I don't hear many people talking about rugby in London and certainly not women. It has to be one of the things I miss.
3. After that I headed to the bank to get myself some money from an ATM or cashpoint. There are two big Lloyds Banks in the main street. You used to be able to get money in French and German on the Kilburn High Road. Of course, in Wales you can often do it in Welsh, which I enjoyed doing (although I didn't notice any sign of Welsh anywhere else in the bank) - arian parod, gweddill ar y sgrin, etc. The thing that struck me was that the ATM gave me fivers - something that banks don't do in London. Does that reflect Newport's economic status.

No comments: