The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Francis Wareham

In Samuel Palmer's Nonconformist's Memorial there is an entry that reminds me of that phrase damning with faint praise. In the section on Middlesex he comes to Hendon, which is more or less where I live. He says

HENDON Francis Wareham, MA Of Bennet Col. Camb. A man of great natural wit, of polite learning, of great pleasantness in conversation, and a very practical preacher, but unsuccessful.
He was put into this living by the parliament, in 1650.

I guess my fear is that it might be my epitaph too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least he made it into the memorial. Unsuccesful, maybe. But faithful.

(Palmer was my slightly early Great Ejection present to myself this year).