The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 3 2013

Great day yesterday, despite the continuing agony of toothache.
The day was in two parts. In the morning, we began with communion and welcoming in our two friends from last week's baptism. I preached on the end of 2 Peter 2, a little reluctant to hammer away on the subject of false teachers once again but we probably need it. Quite a few away for diverse reasons but a decent crowd all told.
After a quick lunch we headed for Cwmbran and a baptism at Pontrhydyrun Baptist  Church. In a packed church we witnessed the baptism of my sister's oldest daughter, Vicki, and two others. All three testified well. Having been brought up in Christian homes all three had wandered, which is a pity but God is very gracious. It was good to have the opportunity to hear the new minister Jonny Raine (on Philippians 1:21). The congregation was stop heavy with ministers (besides myself, former minister John Emonds, the father of one of the candidates and Jonny's father Phil were present). It was good to see so many old friends and family including mys sister and all her children, her former husband and various relatives, my five boys and Sibyl, Eleri's sister and family and her mother, my old friend David White who surreally insists on speaking to me in Welsh (!), Stephen Price who I grew up with from birth and his wife Fay, etc, etc.

No comments: