The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The Shakespeare Experience

It was my privilege last month to introduce Mike Reeves at one session in the Carey Conference. I was explaining then how everyone had told me how good he was and how pleased I was that he proved to be as good as they said. It's a phenomenon I have observed in other spheres. So for example when I was in school they told me how good Shakespeare was and in time I came to see he really is that good, head and shoulders above any of his contemporaries anad most of his successors. Or take the Beatles or pre-Akkerman Focus. I often find myself listening to one or other and thinking, yes, they really were that good.
All that to draw your attention to a blog piece here, where someone has just started reading Dr Lloyd-Jones and had what I call (shades of Miranda's mother) the Shakespeare experience. Seeing it in others is a joy as it confirms what you already know.

No comments: