The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 27 2013

It's half term here this week and so yesterday was a little bit different, mostly with people away visiting family (including my own family). I preached in the morning on the final section of 1 Corinthians 10. I feel like I've nailed that part of Scripture now (although that may be a dangerous things to think). I think the illustrations of the iron hand in the velvet glove or the flexible flesh with the hard skeleton beneath catch Paul's approach. Christians are to fit in, to be involved in this world. Nevertheless, there are things they will not do. There is a line they will not cross. I was encouraged to see that we finished with a firm focus on Christ our great example. Anyway, in the evening we completed our studies in Jonah with Chapter 4. Again very interesting and hopefully catching the spirit of the original. The challenge to be concerned for the lost is not a note I have sounded for a while.

No comments: