The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Novelists 32 Henry James


Henry James (1843 – 1916) was an American-born British writer. The first of his novels I read was The spoils of Poynton which I really enjoyed (as did my mother). I haven't got much further really though I intend to. James is not an easy read but repays the effort. He was the brother of philosopher and psychologist William James and diarist Alice James. He alternated between America and Europe for the first 20 years of his life, after which he settled in England, becoming a British subject in 1915, a year before his death. His style has been compared to impressionist painting. He was also a literary critic. He was quite a prolific writer of various things apart from novels. Notable works include The American, The Turn of the Screw, The Portrait of a Lady, etc.

No comments: