The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

A new film and a musical memory


As soon as I heard there was a new film Baby Driver I spotted the reference to the Simon and Garfunkel song. We then learn that the film is full of  songs from the past and they form an integral part of the plot and characterisation. This website lists over 70 songs in the film.
Of most interest to me is another use of Hocus Pocus by Focus, always a good move. Not sure how long that plays for. Hocus Pocus came out in 1971 but we were not aware of it in the UK until 1973. (Given that they also have Radar Love by Golden Earring in there too (also 1973), Dutch rock is not really under represented.)
The other track that caught my eye (I have only read about the film, not seen it) is Debora by T Rex. I think the song goes back to 1968. There is an alternative version on the album Prophets seers, and sages called Deboraarobed, which is a fascinating exercise in palindromy. I bought my copy back in 1972 when it was re-released as a single on the back of Marc Bolan's electric pop success. I bought it from Woolworths in Cwmbran if I remember correctly. It was one of those rare occasions in those days when a single had an interesting cover. Being an acoustic effort from four years before it immediately sounded dated but with the help of the three tracks on the B side from the same era (One inch rock, Woodland Bop and Seal of Seasons) I was convinced it had been worth my pennies. From then I was on the look out for the four Tyrannosaurus Rex albums that came before the T Rex album that launched the pop career.
It must have been that same year that I came across a copy of Best of T Rex in David Evans department store, a collection of old singles, etc, that included Debora.


No comments: