The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

One Inch Rock and Germaine Greer


Mentioning T Rex's One Inch Rock set me thinking about that strange song and what it may mean. Some time ago it crossed my mind that "I asked her name she said Germaine" was a reference to Germaine Greer. That may be the case. Quite what more we can say I know not.
In the book Ride a White Swan: The Lives and Death of Marc Bolan Lesley-Ann Jones writes

Times were a'changing on all fronts. Germaine Greer, outspoken Australian feminist and International Times and Oz magazine contributor, was now a household name, thanks to her best-selling 1970 work The Female Eunuch. Championing the cause of women's liberation beyond 'mere' equality with men, Greer became a high-profile figure on the London scene, and an unlikely friend of Marc (Bolan), (DJ) Jeff (Dexter) and June (Child). Jeff recounts outrageous nights in restaurants, when Germaine could always be relied upon to let down her hair and get up to mischief while Marc would be beside himself with mirth.

A website here refers to One Inch Rock as "a thinly veiled attack on Germaine Greer".
The lyrics are

Met a woman she's spouting prose She's got luggage eyes and a roman nose
Her body is slung from side to side Need a lift she said much obliged
I'm riding piggy-back Then I came to her shack

We go inside the place it's a mess She said my name's the liquid poetess
She unties her mouth And her buckskin dress
She drinks from a bottle labelled tenderness I'm in one hand in the other's a can

She puts me in the can And smiles through the wall
I got the horrors 'cause I'm one inch tall Next thing I know's a girl by my side
Dressed in a bayleaf she's trying to hide I asked her name she said Germaine

Do the rock do the one inch rock.

No comments: