The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Novels by Cynan Jones

Over the summer I came across the novels of Cynan Jones. Because he was born near Aberaeron I thought he might have been in the Aber Waterstone's as a local author but when I returned to London I found his works there. There are five or six things altogether. I read the 2006 novella The long dry first adn tht is something quite special. The action all takes place on the same day, although there is a back story that extends back from that day. It is very well written. I then read Everything I found on the beach which, while being a good read, is not such an unusual piece. The first novel is about a couple on a farm, the second about a local man and a Polish immigrant but takes place in a more wide ranging landscape, still within Wales but at various locations. I should probably try The dig next (2014). His latest novel is Cove (2016).

No comments: