The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 1 2017

We're rather late reporting on the last Lord's Day for some reason. Being the first day of the new month we began with communion. I was a little under prepared as I needed to take Eleri to A & E as she appears to have broken her toe, tripping over the day before. The Lord helped me, though. It was harvest in Childs Hill. That is to say we sang some harvest hymns and I preached on a harvest theme - this time three Proverbs that speak about harvest. I also spoke to the children on that theme. In the evening we began on Matthew 14. We were around 40 in the morning and 17 in the evening. There were many missing (including some for yet another week) and no visitors. The sermons were of what we may call a beans on toast variety I guess (nutritious but not exciting).

No comments: