The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Catch up


It is not possible to keep a record of everything that goes on here and I don't try but I thought I'd try a quick round up as I do sometimes, covering things I have missed. Last Saturday we had the second of our men's meetings and the six of us who met for breakfast enjoyed it and found it worthwhile I think. We have a chapter to read and then we discuss. The subject was a purity, not one that arises spontaneously among us so it was good to talk it through.
I do mention the Westminster Fellowship from time to time and I enjoyed the last one I attended (Robert Strivens on preaching) but I don't think I mentioned that (nor the last pastoral friendship walk which was very enjoyable).
There were also some interviews at the London Seminary, which I tend not to mention for obvious reasons. All good candidates though.
The other thing was the Grace Assembly which I attended just for one day at the end of May and enjoyed very much. The recordings can be found at the website here. I also picked up some nice books courtesy of the Dunstable Bookshop.

No comments: