The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 3 2018


We were a very good number on the last Lord's Day (20 in the evening). This was helped by family members and other visitors being present. As three of my boys are now married when the five sit with their wives it fills up a whole row (my wife took the two grandsons out during the sermon). It is tempting to think "What if they were all still here?" but  that is not helpful. We began with communion (it is finished) and then I preached Jeremiah 17:9, 10 which amazingly I have never tackled as a text before. In the evening we went back to Matthew. I had been dreading looking at divorce for some reason (we have no divorcees in the congregation) but when we came to it that was not a problem and hopefully what I had to say was stimulating and profitable.

No comments: