The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

IPC Catalyst Conference Ealing Day 2

Sinclair Ferguson
I was back yesterday (Wednesday) in Ealing for more of the same. Ealing is only 8 or 9 miles away but at that time of the morning is quite a trek (my wife gave me a lift on Tuesday). Anyway I arrived a little late so was not able to fully appreciate the opening paper from Jonty Rhodes.
Dick Gaffin presented part of the cessation position very helpfully and after lunch Sinclair Ferguson spoke on the Spirit of adoption, again the best and most moving.
In the final session we had Mark Earngey an Australian looking Australian, an Anglican and a man who looks as if he has had a shock. He did something I have never heard covered before  - a survey of the various liturgies produced in the 16th century around Europe. Thie meant he was able to speak with some authority about the nuances of Reformed theology and practice. Fascinating. I liked the fact that in Zurich they did not sing but they did celbrate Christmas - so what is the Reformed positon there? He alos noted that from ealy on other things apart from Scripture were sung in many places. Like Dr Gaffin he ended with opportunity for questions.
So another good day. I am not sure if recordings or transcripts might be available.

No comments: