The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

"Day off" Week 49


As noted in week 39 the luxury of a day off is not always possible and this is one of those weeks. So I have had to stagger as is necessary from time to time. So what I am doing is saying that the day is in three parts. I had an evening out last Monday to see Kate Rusby as reported and I''ll be pretty much relaxing also 4.30 - 7.30 pm on Saturday when we have our church social. The other component came yesterday when I took it rather easy after the Westminster Conference doing some blogging and reading about insid jokes on Wikipedia and exploring some other websites. Later I read the first stave of Dickens' Christmas Carol it being that time of year and the 175th anniversary of its publication. Everyone says it is a masterpiece. It is.

PS The Christmas social was great - lovely food and conversation and games. My annual quiz was bearable. We finished off with some performances inclduing a comedy sketch, a rendition of yakty sax and Rachmaninov's second piano concerto on piano and accordion. Lovely evening.

2 comments:

Edmund said...

Gary! I miss your Christmas party quizzes, puns and all. I remember winning one when I was quite young, and being given a tape of carols sung by Bing Crosby. Heady days.

Gary Brady said...

Kind of you to say so. Happy Christmas!