The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 24 2019


Good congregations again, especially in the morning. We had some visitors and lots of regulars. I was glad that someone staying with us who speaks Parsee was able to converse with our Iranians, who were out in force. A Filipina lady came for the first time but she had to leave promptly. We were singing happy birthday to our oldest member (83) during the cuppa after. Two ladies leave this week for India and Jamaica. We won't see them for several months. I was particularly encouraged in the evening to have someone there who has not been with us for a while. I didn't think the sermon (from the end of Matthew 27) was quite there. I did better in the morning finishing Acts. I have now preached all the New Testament. There was time when I might ave considered that an achievement. Now I'm thinking how much better it could have been done.

No comments: