The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odyssey-Christopher-Nolan/
dp/0571403387

On Friday my youngest son treated us to a trip to the cinema to see the new version of Homer's Odyssey. We couldn't get into the i-max but I don't think we missed much as the Vue version was clear, large and loud in a packed cinema. I tried to read the Odyssey many years ago and can't honestly remember how much I covered but most of the stories were familiar and Nolan seems to have been fairly faithful but switching back and for timewise to keep up interest. There were more fistfights and more swearing than in the original I guess in a macho action film that kept interest to the end but perhaps lacked a focus.

No comments: