The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visit to City Uni CU


It was my privilege last night to speak at the CU at City University. I do very little of this sort of thing but one CU member grew up in the church here and so I've spoken once before and was given this return invite. They meet in an anonymous classroom located in a warren of such faceless rooms. Someone kindly met me at the door and guided me there. Someone had thoughtfully put up directions on a series of A4 sheets knocked up on a PC.
Some 20 or so gathered which was very encouraging. When I spoke last year there were only 6 present. A wonderful influx of first years has been the main thing – the power of prayer! They were, understandably, all in the same age bracket but there was great ethnic variety and a good male/female balance. It was a joy just to be in the room.
After light refreshments and chat we sat and Dan from Malaysia enthusiastically led us, with his guitar, in singing a sandwich of two chorusses and (of course) Before the throne of God above, projected on to the wall. I was introduced and applauded (!) and launched into a talk on the suggested subject 'holiness and purity'.
I'm not used to this scene so I simply try to be myself. Wearing a jacket and tie I read 1 Thess 4:1-11 then ploughed through some fairly undiluted J C Ryle – talking about the difference between justification and sanctification, definitive and progressive sanctification, etc. I had seven points and knew I couldn't cover them all but got through most of it without losing them (I think). At least I got another round of applause (when prompted – not by me!).
By the nature of things most present were young Christians and have a variety of backgrounds. We could easily differ on a myriad of things. My hope was that if I just did what I do someone might wake up to what's out there and go for it.
In the nature of things I couldn't talk much with people but walking to the station I had good fellowship with a newly converted young man from a non-Christian background who is getting baptised soon. While speaking frankly of his difficulties and failures, he was full of enthusiasm for the Lord. It's the enthusiasm that is most encouraging. One wishes there was more theology but at least there is zeal. Last time I was there the six were planning some outreach and I remember pondering how such a small handful could be so positive. This time the twenty have hired a 200 seater hall for a carol service! It's partly the nature of youth to be optimistic but it's chiefly God given. I feel rebuked that I can be such a play-it-safe no-hoper sometimes. Where's the enthusiasm I had when a student?

I was alerted again this morning to the situation in Exeter University where the CU has been excluded from the Students Union. They are going to fight this in the courts. Do pray for Christian students seeking to maintian a witness.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Great stuff Gary.

Welcome to Blogdom. Dog owners get to look like their dogs. You now look exactly like the cover of your book. Isn't that amazing.

Guy Davies said...

Welcome to blogdom, Gary. I'll add a link from my blog to yours.

Guy Davies