The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bolan Again


That ITV documentary turned out to be quite short and only okay. A longer and much better one was shown on BBC 4 last night. The general opinion seems to be that Bolan was ambitious, talented, hard working and prone to various vices. The Early T Rex period (Ride a White Swan to Children of the Revolution) was clearly the best period with early promise and a later revival either end. (I was pleased to see my opinion confirmed that after Tanx things went down hill). It struck me how important producer Tony Visconti [see pic] was in the whole thing. See here for his website. I warmed to the man. Steve Harley's suggestion that Beard of Stars was almost as good as Revolver really appeals but it can't be true. At the end it was quite moving to hear B P Fallon and others talk about the tragic and untimely death. Harley had the last word as when asked to sum it all up with three words he shunned the popular 'beautiful, clever, loving, etc' for 'I miss him'. Eloquent.
Ringo Starr's footage of Bolan in concert followed. I dipped in and out but it was all a long time ago now.

No comments: