The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Best ofs 02

Also in the CD drawer of 'Best of' albums is a Don McLean album entitled American Pie - The Greatets Hits. It contains 20 tracks. I like nearly all of them. I was first aware of the tracks American Pie (which fascinated me) and Vincent (which fascinated me adn made me cry) through the radio. At school Graham Pearson (Rev Gary Davies and Leo Kottke fan) assured us all that McLean was the only decent player on the pop scene. I was also aware of McLean being held in high regard by others. The discovery that my mother's version of 'And I love you so' by Perry Como was written by McLean had an effect and whenever I went to someone else's house who was a little older they always had a copy of the original American Pie album, which in the end I bought. My top seven:
1. Empty chairs
2. Vincent
3. American Pie
4. Everyday
5. Crying
6. Fools Paradise
7. Castles in the air

No comments: