The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Calvinism changing the world

Have you seen this item at Time mag here putting Calvinism at 3 in a list of ideas changing the world right now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://purechurch.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-time-magazine-trumpeting-of-new.html

Read this?

Gary Brady said...

I hadn't. My reaction was - typical Calvinist! Then I noticed it's my friend Thabiti who's never read my book so I don't want to start arguing. PS Comments never go into double figures on this blog!

Guy Davies said...

That's interesting. But "neo-Calvinism" in the UK doesn't seem to be grabbing the headlines in the same way. Why not?

Gary Brady said...

Few to make the headlines and fewer to write them!