The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Prayer Language

I have noticed at least two people recently praying about meeting around the Word. I noticed it because someone once told me that we meet under the Word not round it. It's like the phrase you often hear in graces and that I used to use - 'Bless this food to our bodies' . Somebody once asked me what exactly that means. I had no answer so stopped using it. I found an interesting blog on this but have lost trace of it.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Though I know what you mean, Gary, somehow "meeting around the Word" doesn't sound so strange as "meeting under the Word". It sounds like under the clock at Waterloo Station. It seems more physical and geographic, somehow.

Anonymous said...

Well said. The link doesn't work btw.

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts, Gary.

I still use 'bless this food to our bodies' when we give thanks at our table. I think that it is a simple request that God would take the food that we are eating and allow it to nourish us and sustain us.

Northern Ireland is awash with prayer language - some of it reverential and beneficial, much of it inherited and thoughtless. It would be interesting to compile a list of phrases to see how common they are across the evangelical church in the UK.

Blessings,
Andrew Roycroft

Gary Brady said...

Okay, so I'm too cynical. I read about a Puritan once who never used the same language twice. That still sounds to me.