The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 06

The main thing today (Tuesday) was lecturing on Proverbs. I had to endure another lengthy intro from Mon Macapagal. I gave an introduction to Proverbs and then tried to work my way through some example chapters. I was a little too ambitious in my expectations and only did Chapters 2, 7, 8, 14a, 30 and 31 but it gave the flavour and was worthwhile I hope. (I need to speak more slowly and clearly tomorrow when we tackle Ecclesiastes). In the evening I was invited over to the home of Amor Perigon and his family (including children and grandchild) and had a lovely time there. The son of Rudy, who was a Bible Baptist but came to Reformed faith in the USA, they have strong links with Baguio, where the Perigons Senior live. (I should mention at some point how sorry I am not to be meeting Matt Gamston who is down in Ilo Ilo and returns when I leave). Amor is a lovely man with clear opinions and spending time with him gave me another angle on the whole RB work here in The Philippines, especially the language question. A lovely evening.

1 comment:

Family Blogs said...

How encouraging to read of Reformed work in The Philipines. You're in our prayers here every evening, although I don't know what that means in terms of your time zone etc.

Another Peru connection (although I couldn't find out any reason for the similarity between Lima and lima) in terms of place names! Ilo is a port where Baptist missionaries are working - about 5 hours away from us by road.

Blessings,
A