The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 11

So my final full day in the Philippines is nearly over. It started quite early around 8 am when Dennis, one of the members at Moonwalk Community Bible Church, picked me up and drove me over to the church. (En route to church we passed a RC church that runs a market just outside every Sunday!). Moonwalk is in ParaƱaque and is in one of these subdivisions as they call them, where gates with security guards keep out undesirables. We have them in England (gated communities) but these are at a much lower economic level I guess. Anyway Moonwalk (a slightly better heeled congregation for the most part I guess) was originally begun by Cubao and then planted as a church by Steve Hofmaier, (here too) a graduate of Al Martin's old Montville, New Jersey seminary, in 1987. Moonwalk also has a small seminary, which is a pity in some ways but that's Reformed Baptists for you.
They kicked off with Sunday School at 9 am mostly in Tagalog but with plenty of English. Steve is teaching on missions and if you are in the know the Al Martin style hallmarks were all there. I was slightly bothered by that but got through it and preached quite well on Ezekiel 37 again (good not to have to be translated) and then joined them for lunch too, chatting mostly to Steve who spent six months in Nairobi with Keith Underhill years back and had been to Aberystwyth. By the time I left anyway I was much more centred on the 99% of things that we do agree on and was very glad for the opportunity to have been there and to have enjoyed such sterling fellowship. Dennis, accompanied by his wife, kindly drove me back to Cubao, where there were quite a few still around enjoying coffee, chat and singing. They knew people and so took opportunity to chat too before returning. Ray Seveses here is brother to Rolly, one of the elders at Moonwalk. They have just appointed a third elder and so Steve, who sees himself as very much a missionary (unlike Brian) is keen to move on but the congregation are rather dismayed at the prospect.
Back here there was time to talk to Joseph and Theresa (no English) with their toddler Jores (JOseph/theRESa - typical Filipino) and try and remember the CCM girls' names. At 4 pm it was time for the afternoon service. Joel Pascual, one of the deacons preached. They provided simultaneous translation for us monoglots. Joel is coming to England in October to be best man to Redy who is marrying Naomi Clark, a member at Waterford House Evangelical, Strood. Perhaps we can link up. He told me that his father is a bishop in a Filipino cult (see something on Filipino cults here, although I think this is an RC site).
After church a few stayed to sing and to say a formal hanks and goodbye. That was very nice. I really have enjoyed this time and received so many blessings.
Brian and Necy kindly invited me back home again for a bite to eat (very tasty spaghetti dish) with them and their (as yet) unconverted housegirls. I also had another interesting chat with Brian clarifying the set up, asking where he sees things going and chatting about various things. Clearly there are constant headaches but it's great to be with someone who God is using quietly but quite extensively in many ways. The Ellises I should have mentioned live opposite Faith House, where the older CCM girls live. He told me they have another property somewhere currently not in use.
Anyway I walked back to the church, did a little packing, did a little dip into the coconut jam I bought last night and then read a little before bed. The rain has just started to teem down once again.

No comments: